Opening Statement Read by the Board Chairman at each meeting:
Let me briefly review the format of our meeting.
- Please silence all electronic devices.
- The agenda for the School Board meeting is available to the Board and to the public at least one week prior to the Board meeting.
- Each agenda item on the School Board agenda is supported by an agenda cover sheet that contains relevant information about the items as well as additional back-up information, all of which is available as part of the online agenda. District staff is also available to help answer any questions about agenda items.
- If at any time during the meeting someone leaves the dais to go to the back room, that does not mean they are no longer engaging in the meeting or showing disrespect. We have audio speakers in the back room and board members are able to hear everything that is being said at the meeting.
- Speakers will be granted three minutes to address the board. When 10 or more speakers wish to speak during public comment, the board may reduce the time per speaker. Speakers can sign up online or in person, all speakers must check in with the Communications staff at least 15 minutes prior to the start of public comment. The Board reserves the right to modify the speaking time based on the circumstances of any individual Board meeting.
- There will be a total of 30 minutes allowed for public comments prior to the business portion of the school meeting.
- The School Board respects the public’s right to speak to the board, but we cannot tolerate behavior intended to interrupt the orderly conduct of this meeting. Our civility policy is in effect.
The Board welcomes comments from citizens and values your input. Our school board respects the public’s right to speak to the Board and we appreciate you taking your time to be at the meetings. It is requested that when you address the Board, comments are not directed personally against a board member or staff member but rather directed at the issues. Any behavior intended to interrupt the orderly conduct of the meeting will not be allowed. Our Civility Policy is in place.
Guidelines for Public Comment
- The School Board has allotted 60 minutes for public comment.
- In general, speakers will be given three-minutes at the lectern; however, when 20 or more speakers wish to speak during public comment, the time will be reduced to 2 minutes per speaker.
- If a speaker goes over the allotted time, the microphone will be turned off.
- If a group of speakers is in attendance together to speak on one topic, it is encouraged for them to designate one speaker for the group, while acknowledging the others in attendance.
- All speakers must check in with the Communications staff at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the meeting.
When addressing the Board, please state your name and speak clearly into the microphone. There is a timer and a light system on the lectern. When there are 30 seconds left, you will see a yellow light on the lectern. A red light and a chime will indicate when your time is up.
Updated: December 14, 2021