Educational Opportunities for Adults
Hillsborough County’s Adult Education Programs include a range of instructional programs that help adults get the skills needed to be productive workers, family members, and citizens. The purpose of adult education is to enhance general educational skills such as reading, writing, mathematics, and English competency. The hope is to help adult learners gain the knowledge and skills necessary to enter and succeed in the workforce.
The primary Adult Education Program areas are:
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)
- Adult General Education (GED)
- Adult High School Credit
- Co-Enrolled Credit Recovery
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
Learners enrolled in adult high school completion courses can earn a high school diploma or equivalent by successfully gaining their high school credits and benchmarks or passing through the Standard GED® tests. The Adult Education Program also offers Official GED preparation and testing.
Adult education programs are available to individuals:
- 16 years or older
- Are not enrolled or required to be enrolled in secondary school
- Do not have a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Want to learn to speak, read, and write the English language
To enroll in ABE/GED or ESOL, students must take a CASAS placement exam