- Walker Middle Magnet
Important Information for Incoming Students: 2022-2023
Walker Wolf Camp is filling up quick and we don’t want YOU to miss out! (email sent 5/23)
The camp teachers are busy planning two fun-filled camp sessions for our incoming students….and a Parent 101 meeting for the grownups with PTSA Board Members, Walker Administrator, and your IB Coordinator!
For the incoming students…
- Walker students will be in each group to answer questions from a student’s point of view.
- Mr. Dillard will be out on the track teaching you how to fly drones through an obstacle course.
- Mrs. Croom will host an Escape Room experience.
- Mrs. Duke has a “puff car” design challenge for you.
- Ms. Carey will have you engineering a prototype capsule for the “egg drop”.
- Ms. Strano will have a double group IB Bingo mixer in the media center.
- Mrs. Corder will have a double group Games and Walker Trivia in the outdoor classroom.
- Pizza Lunch and PTSA Park play time!
Dates: Saturday June 4 OR Saturday July 30
Time: 9:00 am – 3:00pm
Dress: T-shirt and Shorts (NO sweatshirts or jackets)
Bring: A refillable water bottle, small string bag for personal items
Sign Up TODAY: https://walkermiddlemagnetptsa.memberhub.com/store
PTSA will email more detailed information after you register and just before each camp date. Parent 101 information will be included.
This is a great opportunity for your child to make new friends, get to know some of the Walker teachers, and to make lasting memories. The first day of school will be easier knowing that they will see some familiar faces : )
Contact PTSA President Heather Capobianco: WalkerPTSAInfo@gmail.com with any questions about your registration!
Walker Incoming Student “To Do” Checklist (emailed 5/18/22)
___Register for Walker Wolf Camp and Parent 101 https://walkermiddlemagnetptsa.memberhub.com/store
- Camp dates: Saturday June 4 or Saturday July 30
- Camp times: 9:00am – 3:00pm (Parent 101: 9:00am -10:00am)
- “Campers” spend the day with Walker Teachers making new friends, learning, and having fun + Pizza & Snacks !
- Parents will meet the cafeteria with PTSA and Mrs. Caldwell for “Parent 101” + Q&A
- PTSA will email more detailed information after you register
___ Questions about Double Accelerated Math? Email School Counselor: email@example.com
___ NEW to Hillsborough County Public Schools? Contact AP to schedule registration: firstname.lastname@example.org
June- July 2022
___Start Summer Reading and Math Assignments Assignment Link on Walker Website
___Order Uniform Shirts, Spirit Shirts, PE Uniforms Uniform Policy and Links to Order
___Plan for Transportation
- Private Bus Inquiries RecreationExpress@hotmail.com
- Carpool Connection: https://bit.ly/CarpoolConnection22-23
- HCPS Magnet Bus Information: https://www.hillsboroughschools.org/Page/4985
- District will contact families late July with bus information
- HOST Information: https://www.hillsboroughschools.org/host
___Join PTSA on July 1 for the 2022-2023 School Year! https://walkermiddlemagnetptsa.memberhub.com/store
- Your membership supports Walker Students and Teachers without obligation to attend meetings or volunteer
- Want to volunteer?
___Purchase “Starter List” Supplies + Water Bottle Supply List Link on Walker Website
- Put your child’s name on EVERYTHING so when they lose them, they can be returned!
___OPEN HOUSE ”Save the Date” Monday August 8
___1st Day of School Wednesday August 10
Updates (emailed 4/28)
Save the Date:
- Open House, Monday August 8.
- Times have not been finalized yet, but we are looking at Access Points mid-day, Year 2 and 3 in the afternoon, and Year 1 in the evening.
- 1st Day of School, Wednesday August 10
Uniform Policy Updated:
- NEW Uniform Policy Link
- “Tops” color change
- Added “Black”
- Removed “Maroon”
- "White" is still a color option!
Optional Opportunities for Walker Families:
- Summer Reading Adventures
- “IB a World Traveler” Club
- 2023 Grand Tour of Italy www.eftours.com/2478389su
- Private Bus FB group for Eagles area
PTSA Information (emailed 4/26)
PTSA President Heather Capobianco: WalkerPTSAInfo@gmail.com
PTSA Website: https://www.walkerptsa.com/
Upcoming PTSA Events:
- Incoming Student Camp Registration: https://bit.ly/PTSAWMMStore
- Saturday, June 4, 2022 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Saturday, July 30, 2022 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Walker Teachers will be leading the camp! Both sessions will have the same content, so please select one of the dates. Space is limited to 120 students for each session.
- Walker PTSA Carpool Connection: https://bit.ly/CarpoolConnection22-23
- PTSA Needs You!
- Walker PTSA Spirit Wear: https://bit.ly/WMMPTSASpiritStore
- Walker PTSA Spirit Wear (through B&B Sports): https://bbsportswear.com/
- Right-hand side click "online stores" then scroll down to "Walker Middle Spirit Store"
Walker SAC (emailed 4/14)
Incoming Parents / Guardians,
Would you be interested in joining Walker's School Advisory Council (SAC) for the 2022 -2023 school year ?
- are a link between school and other parents
- work with school members to see where we are and how we can do better
- find ways to see how successful we are as a school community
- meet monthly to review successes and areas of growth
- represent the ethnic and racial diversity of our student population
Please complete the Interest Form: https://forms.office.com/r/zWeUGKLQxM
Handouts from Welcome to Walker (4/5/22)
- Walker IB MYP Basics
- Walker Required Summer Reading - Year 1
- 2022-23 "Starter" List of Supplies
- Who's Who at Walker
- Walker Math Department FAQ's
- Honor Code
- IB Learner Profile
- Deleted OLD Uniform Policy
- HOST Information
- OPTIONAL: Private Bus Information
- Shelter Fair in Walker Cafeteria 3:30-6:30pm 4/7/22
RSVP for Welcome to Walker Ice Cream Social (sent 2/3/22)
Transportation (sent 2/2/22)
“Transportation” is one of the most frequently asked questions. I would love to tell you exactly where your neighborhood bus stop is located and what time the bus will arrive. Unfortunately, the HCPS transportation department does not have an answer for you…yet.
Magnet Transportation is personalized for the families that ACCEPT offers to attend a magnet school and these routes are the last ones they set…just before school starts in August. So, the quickest way to learn more is to talk to your neighbors. Do you see a group of multi-aged students waiting for a bus early in the morning…that is probably the magnet bus stop.
Magnet busses pick up all the magnet students 1st-12th grade (kindergarteners only if they have an older sibling with them) in your neighborhood and drive them to a transfer station aka Magnet Ramp. At the Magnet Ramp, once all of the busses arrive, the gates are closed and the students get off of the “Neighborhood Bus” and transfer to their specific “Magnet School Bus”. There are four ramps: 40th Street, HDA, Tampa Bay Tech, Yukon. This process is reversed in the afternoon. The bus ride can be a long trek across the district, but it is free and available to most of our students.
District Policy: IF you live less than 2 miles from your school, you must provide your own transportation. IF you live outside of Walker’s transportation zone, you must provide your own transportation (When you applied and accepted your offer to attend, transportation information was included along with a visual: GREEN check meant YES, RED “x” meant NO)
- For more information about the HCPS transportation: https://www.hillsboroughschools.org/Page/4985
Private Busses are arranged by parents, not HCPS. If a group of parents organizes transportation and wants me to share this information, please send it to me.
Cars: Many of our parents drive or form carpools. PTSA provides a private Facebook page where parents can share information. This is for all Walker families, not just incoming 6th grade. You can see our current car line procedures posted on the Walker website.
- PTSA will have more information posted on their website in the Spring: https://www.walkerptsa.com/
HOST (Hillsborough Out of School Time) is an option for families that choose to drive but may have a challenge with the official school hours for drop off and/or pick up. (school starts at 8:30am and ends at 3:25pm). Walker offers a fee-based morning program that opens at 6:15am and an after-school fee-based program that ends at 6:00pm. Details regarding Walker’s program will be shared at the April 5 “Welcome to Walker Ice Cream Social”.
- For more information about the HCPS HOST program: https://www.hillsboroughschools.org/host