Welcome Military Families
Hillsborough County Public Schools is honored to serve you and your family during your time at MacDill Air Force.
School & HCPS Resources
Military Point of Contact
Principal Kevin Moon
The school has designated a school counselor, teacher, principal, or assistant principal as the Military Point of Contact (MPOC) for the school to serve as the central liaison with military families. The MPOC is responsible for assisting military families with student enrollment, records transfer, accessing services for students with disabilities, and accessing school- and community-based resources that are available in the district for military students and their families.
Leader in Me Lighthouse Team
- The principal, school administration and staff engage in ongoing learning and develop as leaders, while championing leadership for the school.
- Leadership principles are effectively taught to all students through direct lessons, integrated approaches, and staff modeling. Students are able to think critically about and apply leadership principles.
- Families and the school partner together in learning about the 7 Habits and leadership principles through effective communication and mutual respect.
- The school community is able to see leadership in the physical environment, hear leadership through a common language, and feel leadership through a culture of caring, relationships, and affirmation.
- Leadership is shared with students through a variety of leadership roles and student voice leads to innovations within the school.
- Schoolwide, classroom, family, and community leadership events provide authentic environments to celebrate leadership, build culture, and allow students to practice leadership skills.
- The school utilizes the 4DX® process to identify and track progress toward Wildly Important Goals (WIGs) for the school, classroom, and staff.
- Students lead their own learning with the skills to assess their needs, set appropriate goals, and carry out action plans. They track progress toward goals in Leadership Notebooks and share these notebooks with adults in student-led conferences.
- Teacher planning and reflection, trusting relationships, and student-led learning combine to create environments for highly engaged learning.
- Lanier is recognized as a Leader in Me Lighthouse School.
Exceptional Student Education - If you have a question regarding your child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) or services, don’t hesitate to contact Maria Millis at (813) 872-3060 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are transitioning to the area and have questions about services in Hillsborough County Public Schools contact the Choice Information Line at (813) 272-4692 and identify yourself as a transitioning military family to connect with the Exceptional Student Education Department.
Mental Health Resources
There are many challenges military students face due to their unique situation, such as having a parent deployed for extended periods of time, changing schools, and leaving friends. Your child’s School Student Services staff, i.e. School Counselor, School Psychologist and/or School Social Worker can provide support and share resources to assist during these challenging times. Families can also visit the HCPS Mental Health Matters site for additional resources.
Contact Venetia Waters, MAFB’s School Liaison Officer to connect your child or a family member to a Military Family Life Counselor.
(813) 828-0146 or email@example.com
The Student Progression Plan provides families with academic information at the elementary, middle and high school level.