PRINCIPAL/ADMINISTRATOR: Michael Miranda
Phone: (813) 276-5717
Fax: (813) 276-5857
Student Hours: 8:30 AM to 3:25 PM
Uniforms: No Uniforms
Before School Program: No
After School Program: Yes
Every Student is a Star
Be a shining star at Orange Grove Middle Magnet School of the Arts, a visual, performing and communication arts school where high academic achievement meets creativity. Our campus is an architectural landmark nestled between Ybor City and Downtown Tampa. It includes two professional dance studios, video production, visual arts and MAC lab and exceptional music and technical theater suites. Through arts-based Electives, our students shine and grow in the Visual, Performing and Communication Arts. Our student artists also connect through after-school clubs, which include All-State honor groups, hip hop dance, creative writing, the Green Team Recycling and our performance rock band. Beyond the arts, we provide advanced courses, and our Scholar Quest offerings lead to high school credit. Our staff is dedicated to nurturing all students through an arts-integrated environment, setting the stage with our Sixth Grade Structure, helping students feel at home at our summer orientation Cub Camp. See creative and academic sparks ignite into works of art at Orange Grove Middle Magnet School of the Arts, where every student is a star!
On February 2, 1926, the School Board met and approved the site as the location for the new Orange Grove Elementary School. The cost of the site was $45,000. M. Lee Elliott was appointed architect and began to design the school. Mr. Elliott had also designed Tampa's City Hall, Centro Asturiano Theater, and Gorrie and Philip Shore Elementaries.
The company of G.H. Cooper was awarded the construction contract on August 6th of that year. The building cost was set at $127,800. On June 2, 1927, James McIntosh was appointed as the first principal of Orange Grove. His salary was set at $175 per month!
The name Orange Grove was derived from the grove of trees which existed on the south side of the campus. In the decades that followed, Orange Grove served a population which was rich with pride and spirit. Evidence of tradition was the yearly May Day festivals and Halloween carnivals. These events provided many lasting memories for all who shared in them.
In 1971, as part as the court-ordered desegregation law, Orange Grove became a Sixth Grade Center. Then, in 1985, a 1.2 million dollar renovation and remodeling project updated the original structure. Finally, in 1998, when Orange Grove became a part of the Magnet School Initiative, our current structure was added at a cost of 8.9 million dollars! We are proud to be a part of the lasting legacy that is Orange Grove.