PRINCIPAL / ADMINISTRATOR: Connie Chisholm
Phone: (813) 707-7334
Fax: (813) 707-7339
Student Hours: 7:40 AM to 1:55 PM
Uniforms: No Uniforms
Before School Program: No
After School Program: Yes
When Burney Elementary School opened in 1923, it housed grades one throuh six. The first principal was Mr. Ben Kendrich.
In 1971 Burney Elementary and Simmons Elementary were combined at the Burney site to become Burney-Simmons School. At that time, the school was designated as a sixth-grade center.
In 1987 and 1988 Burney-Simmons School received "Top Gun" status in ECIA Reading, and in 1989 it received the same award in Mathematics.
In 1995 the school became the Plant City Exceptional Center, housing two programs, the alternative education career and exceptional career. As Burney-Simmons School moved into the millenium, still further changes ensued. Tomlin Junior High School students were moved to the site due to refurbishment of Tomlin Junior High.
In the summer of 2002. Burney-Simmons School was renovated and new additions were made to become Esther D. Burney Elementary.
Dedication of Esther D. Burney Elementary School took place on April 1, 2003.