PRINCIPAL / ADMINISTRATOR: Dan Opila
Phone: (813) 272-3066
Fax: (813) 272-3284
Student Hours: 7:40 AM - 1:55 PM
Uniforms: No Uniforms
Before School Program: Yes
After School Program: Yes
- Chiaramonte was built in 1971 and it was patterned after Crestwood Elementary in Central Tampa, which was built a year earlier. It was named after Alfonso Chiaramonte, who became a school board member at the age of 23 and served for 30 years. He was the youngest ever to serve on the board and he served the longest. He also was the editor of a music magazine.
- Mr. Chiaramonte was the first living person to have a school named after him in Hillsborough County.
- The school has had only three principals since it was built and Marie Valenti has served the longest amount of time -25 years. The first principal was Marian Peterson and following her was Beverly Weaver.
- Mr. Chiaramonte and his wife were very generous with our school, since they had no children of their own. When I became principal he gave me a check for $1,000 to purchase a computer. Within a year he came by to visit me one day and handed me a check for $10,000 to purchase more computers. When he died his wife, Ethel, came to visit me and handed me a check for $13,000 to use for computers. The school district matched that amount and I now had $26,000 for computers…amazing! The story gets better. After Ethel died I got a call from the school board attorney notifying me that Chiaramonte Elementary had a check in the amount of $33,000 waiting in his office for me to pick up. Mr. & Mrs. Chiaramonte had remembered us in their will. We didn’t have to use the money on computers, so teachers had some choices as to how they wanted to spend the money in their classrooms.
- Ms. Marie Valenti became principal July 2, 1990 with Mrs. Lois Mautte as the AP.
- Mrs. Sherry Cornett became a first grade teacher here a few years later and soon after, she became my assistant principal around 1997.
- The cell tower, that is a flag pole, has provided our school with additional monies to support our mission and vision.
- Chiaramonte was renovated in 2011-2012. It took 18 months to complete and it was quite a few years overdue.
- Permission was granted to have murals painted on our walls the summer of 2013. The artist, Andrew Hasebroock, painted 17 murals in less than 2 months.
- We have always been a Title 1 school and have used the funds to hire personnel and to supplement technology.
- In May 2015, Mr. Dan Opila was named the new principal and began his journey with Chiaramonte on June 22, 2015. Ms. Marie Valenti retired on June 30, 2015.