John M. McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
Hillsborough County Public Schools is committed to providing all students with the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to realize their potential. The John M. Mckay Scholarship provides additional Choice options to students with an Individual Educational Plan (IEP) or a 504 Plan.
In order to qualify for the scholarship the student must submit an intent and meet all of the following statutory requirements:
- Be currently enrolled in a public school in Florida at the time of the intent
- Have met the October and February FTE counts from the previous year
- Have a current 504 or Individual Educational Plan (IEP)
- Be 5 years of age by September 1st of the year you are applying
Parents of students with disabilities have a number of school choice options in the district including the Hillsborough Choice Program. In addition, the John McKay Scholarship Program provides the following options, if available:
- a private school that is approved by the Florida Department of Education to enroll students under the McKay program (contact the private school directly)
- an assignment to another district school which has space available that includes appropriate services to the student other than the one to which he/she is assigned (apply during the Hillsborough Choice application periods - dates to apply)
- a public school in an adjacent school district which has space available and a program with the appropriate services (contact the adjacent school district directly)
- a charter school with space available and the appropriate services (contact the charter school directly - list of charter schools)
For questions regarding the John M. McKay Scholarship Program or to submit your intent, visit the web site at www.floridaschoolchoice.org or call the Exceptional Student Education Office at (813) 273-7513.